Our bigIR (representing QU) team has been ranked first at TREC (Text REtrieval Conference) 2016 international research competition in the “Real-time Summarization” track (mobile notification task) among 19 research teams (who have participated with automatic systems) from all over the world (see a list of teams below). This is the first time in the history of this prestigious conference (which is celebrating the 25th anniversary this year) for an Arab Muslim team to be ranked first in any of the tracks. Among the participating teams are 2 teams from University of Waterloo (Canada) and 2 teams from University of Maryland (US).
QU team includes Reem Suwaileh (MSc student) and Maram Hasanain (PhD student), besides me. The results were just announced yesterday at the conference being held at the US this week.
The same QU team has been also ranked 2nd among 15 research teams at another task (Email Digest) within the same track! Moreover, another QU team (including Rana Malhas (PhD student), Marwan Torki (PostDoc), and Rahma Ali (MSc student), besides me) has been ranked 4th among 16 research teams at the “Live Question Answering” track. Both were also impressive rankings.
Participating teams (Real-time Summarization, Push Notification Scenario):
- University of Waterloo (Clarke group), Canada
- University of Waterloo (Lin group), Canada
- Beijing University of Technology, China
- NLP Lab, Central China Normal U., China
- IRIT (Institut de Recherche en Informatique de Toulouse), France
- CLIP Lab, University of Maryland, College Park, USA
- The Polytechnic University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Indian Institute of Technology (BHU), Varanasi, IndiaHeilongjiang Institute of Technology, China
- Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication, India
- Indian Statistical Institute (Kolkata), India
- Social Network Analysis Lab, School of Computer, NUDT (National University of Defense Technology), China
- Peking University, China
- Philips Research North America, USA
- Qatar University, Qatar
- Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Australia
- University of Delaware (Carterette group), USA
- InfoLab @ University of Delaware, USA
- Human-Computer Interaction Lab, University of Maryland, College Park, USA