Simon Judd is a Research Chair at the Gas Processing Center, Qatar University, and Professor in Membrane Technology at the Cranfield Water Science Institute at Cranfield University for more than 25 years. He has over 27 years’ post-doctorate experience in academic and industrial research and development incorporating all aspects of water and wastewater treatment technology, and membrane technology in particular. He has an extensive network of contacts within the water industry both nationally and internationally from procuring and/or managing many collaborative R&D programmes, and has successfully supervised 32 research student programmes (23 at doctorate level). He has published extensively in the peer-reviewed research literature, with 190 publications and an h index of 43 according to SCOPUS and 55 on Google Scholar (as at March 2018). Professor Judd has (co-)authored five textbooks in membrane and MBR technology and two in general water/wastewater treatment technology. He has provided keynote presentations at many international conferences as well as consultancy to clients based across Europe, America, the Middle East and Far East. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry and Associate Fellow of the Institution of Chemical Engineers.
Professional highlights include:
- Held professorial posts at two different universities in the Gulf and the UK.
- >26 years’ post-doctorate experience in municipal and industrial water and wastewater treatment technology development, including project procurement, management and delivery.
- Management of >15 long-term consortium projects for UK and overseas water utilities, consulting and contracting clients, mainly in membrane technology and including micropollutant fate in wastewater processes, water reuse and industrial effluent treatment.
- Lead principal investigator of >10 funded research proposals under national research programmes in the UK (EPSRC) and Qatar (QNRF-NPRP).
- Procurement of >$10m of research funding, almost 50% directly from industry, in both the UK (through UKRC, EUFP, etc) and Qatar (through NPRP).
- >190 publications in peer-reviewed journals; h index of 43 on SCOPUS, 55 on Google Scholar (as at March 2018).
- Supervision of 33 completed research student programmes and >90 masters’ thesis projects.
- Consultancy provided to clients internationally (North, Central and South America, Europe, Middle East and Far East) on membrane/MBR technology, in particular relating to municipal wastewater treatment and reuse, ranging from market/technology appraisal to troubleshooting of full-scale installations.
- Sole author of “The MBR Book” (two editions), “Watermaths” (two editions), and “Industrial MBRs”. Co-author of three other reference/text books on Membrane Technology and general water and wastewater treatment design.
- Extensive networking across UK and EU research groups: key collaborator in three large EU Framework MBR projects.
- Extensive professional links with senior managers across UK and international water industry, in particular membrane and MBR technology suppliers, practitioners, consultants and end users.
- Key applied research in cost benefit analysis and process optimisation for membrane technologies, and membrane bioreactor technology in particular.
- Editorial board/committee member of four learned journals.
- Owner of The MBR Group on Linkedin >5300 members); ~5000 contacts/followers on LinkedIn.
- Regular blog on The MBR Site (300-1200 page views per post).